This page includes a list of datasets created and used by the Athens Layers of Time Project, including digitized locations and information on monuments at the Old Athens Cemetery, historical maps, aerial photographs, and drone-derived image mosaic. These datasets are available for download as zip files (links below) and can be incorporated into other projects and used with a variety of computer programs.
Considering these data can be incorporated into projects that have different requirements, versions of the same dataset are being provided, as follows:
- Georeferenced: map or image has received real-world coordinates and can be positioned at their correct location on the planet using programs such as Geographic Information Systems or Google Earth. File format: GeoTIFF.
- Non-Georeferenced: map or image does not have real-world coordinates and is stored at full resolution used during scanning of the paper product or data access. File format: TIFF or JPEG.
- Non-Georeferenced-Resampled: same as the Non-Georeferenced map or image, but resolution has been reduced to produce smaller file sizes and to facilitate manipulation. File format: TIFF.
- Kmz: point data that have real-world coordinates and are stored using the Keyhole Markup Language format. Readable by Google Earth.
- Shapefile: point data that have real-world coordinates and are stored using the ESRI shapefile format. Readable by a variety of Geographic Information Systems.
Please see the README.txt file accompanying each dataset for additional information on data and use. Tutorials on how datasets can be imported into Google Earth and used for further exploration can be found at PC version or Mac Version